Welcome to the Tasmanian Club


The Club was founded in 1861, when 70 gentlemen got together in Hobart to form the Tasmanian Club. Rooms were leased in John Webb’s catering and confectionery establishment, on the site of the present Hadley’s Hotel. It was founded on the London-style of Clubs where prospective candidates were elected by the current Members by ballot.

Located in one of Hobart’s colonial architectural gems at 132 Macquarie Street, the Tasmanian Club is one of Australia’s oldest and finest clubs. The Club combines its heritage and traditions with a contemporary and enlightened outlook whilst offering its Members the old fashioned traditions of service, comfort and courtesy. It provides its Members and guests the options to dine in one of our magnificent dining rooms or relax in the library or reading room, play snooker or stay in one of the Club’s accommodation rooms.

The Club’s purpose is to serve its Members and should be viewed as a home away from home. It is purely a social organisation and is a traditional gathering place for friends, where decorum, decency and good manners are still very much in style. The Club’s facilities, services and its fine dining enhance its reputation where its Members are proud to bring both their male and female guests to enjoy the attributes of the Club.

The Club enjoys reciprocity with many similar clubs in Australia and world-wide and it welcomes Members from those Clubs to use our facilities.

The Tasmanian Club is a private Club, open only to members.


The Tasmanian Club Building

In April 1873 the Club moved to its present location of 132 Macquarie Street. The Club building was built in the Georgian style in 1846, originally as the Derwent Bank for Captain Charles Swanston to a design of architect James Alexander Thomson.

In 1886 the present property, which has frontage to both Macquarie and Davey Streets was purchased from the estate of the late John James, for the sum of 4,250 pounds. No improvements took place until July 1889, as at one stage there had been a move to purchase the Royal Tennis Court and build a new Club House next door.

In 1891, following outright purchase of the land and buildings, major extensions were made to the Club building, including the main dining room and accommodation. The Dining Room wing was completed in 1890, with a Ball being held in August to celebrate the opening.

Expenditure on the new building, alterations to the old one, together with furniture and fittings amounted to 6,792 pounds.

The Clubhouse is a heritage listed building that has undergone numerous upgrades and additions since the 1890s.